I often get asked, “What is the one thing that has the ability to determine our effectiveness as influencers and leaders, as well as our authentic happiness?” The answer for me is straightforward and based upon my own observations for myself and numerous clients.
“A Centered Presence”
A leadership book or workshop that ignores this perspective is leaving out something profound. Why is that? A “centered presence” allow you to dial down the reactive, habitual mind that is often stressed and in “fight or flight” mode. By doing so, you can activate the parasympathetic nervous system that allows for synthetic and creative thinking, including intuition.
It is simple, free, and easy to do. Yet time after time, it goes unaddressed. People look outside of themselves to find it; yet it is inside them and has been all along.
So how do you develop a centered presence for better leadership?
- Acknowledge that becoming more conscious is important to you.
- Choose a time of day and a place where you won’t be disturbed.
- Breathe deeply in and out of the abdomen (belly breath) for 4-5 inhalations and exhalations.
- Observe sensations in the body, emotions, moods, and thoughts.
- Write down your observations and any awareness you developed in your thoughts, sensations, shifts in mood, or heightened intuition.
The more you do this, the more impact it will have. It’s like training to run a marathon. It requires consistent effort applied in small steps over time.
So it is with a centered presence. Make it a habit and what you know about leadership will be enough for many things. Learning to lead from within changes the game you are playing.
Your outer reality reflects the inner one.
Create what you desire by accessing your whole brain and being in the planning and execution stages.
To learn more about how you can develop this and other important leadership skills you might not yet know, I hope you’ll check out my new book, “Inner Switch: 7 Timeless Principles to Transform Modern Leadership.” You can purchase it from your favorite online retailer at www.susansfreeman.com.